Surf films are a vital part of surf culture. Aside from the entertainment value, they document the evolution of wave riding and the many facets of the lifestyle. Some are pure comedy gold (think Sterling Spencer), while others have a more documentary approach. We love ’em all, so we put on an annual festival to bring the surfing community together for two days of great films, amazing food, vendors, and lots of aloha. For those who haven’t purchased tickets yet, here are 10 reasons you should yours up before they sell out:
1. Art: We’ll have exhibits by amazing surf photographers, painters, and sculptors. If you dig surf art, you’ll be in good company at the fest.
2. The Venues: There’s something magical about watching surf flicks under the stars. We choose our venues with natural beauty in mind. In Charleston you can enjoy the festival surrounded by majestic live oaks at Brickhouse Party Plantation, and in Wilmington, you’ll be greeted by the beauty of the park and gardens at Greenfield Lake Amphitheater.
3. The food. Mex 1, Mellow Mushroom, to name a few, will be on hand serving up the tastiest treats.
4. BEER!! With standout craft brewers like Stone and Coast brewing on hand, your tastebuds will be stoked. (Remember to drink responsibly. Live to surf another day is our motto.)
5. Chad Davis will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about growing a magnificent red beard.
6. Giveaways!! Enter to win art, surfboards, skateboards, clothes, and all sorts of other rad gear.
7. You’ll be supporting great non profits such as Surfers Healing, Charleston Waterkeeper, and Surfrider Foundation. CSFF is honored to be able to raise money and awareness for our non profit partners who do so much for the community. Help us help them. Come to the fest(s)!
8. All of your friends will be there!
9. Bill Murray may be there. You never know. He shows up all over the place. Dude loves to party.
10. You know each and every film will be hand selected by a stellar judging panel, including one of our heroes, the legendary Ian Cairns!!
We’ll see you at the fest!
Snag some tix at: carolinasurffilmfestival.com